Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Ozark Valley Triathlon

1. I think this was my best executed race this year, except perhaps the OKC 1/2 marathon

2. My swim was a disappointment again. This was the first non-wetsuit swim of the year I definitely am not as good of a swimmer without a wetsuit. I don't mind it, but I'm just not as fast. Two guys I beat in the swim by over a minute at Route 66 were 45 and 60 seconds ahead of me here in a shorter swim. I think I need to do more intervals in the pool and work on my body position. Sadly, my swim was exactly the same as last year, to the second. How is that possible, considering I've already swum more this year than all of last year.

3. The bike went really well. I decided to low 90's cadence instead of high 90's. My plan was to keep the HR between 165 and 168, but it ended up averaging closer to 160 with periods below 160. Still my time was about 40 seconds faster than last year, plus approximately 30 seconds due to the extra mount/dismount out the transition area. That's good...

4. The run was definitely my best of the year. I started out strong, had good form and felt in control up the first hill. The hills still kill me, but I was alright. It wasn't until the end of the first loop that I started feeling on the slight climb at the end. The second climb was hard slow, but I'm sure everybody was feeling it by then. I did use my inhaler at the start of the run and at the start of 2nd lap. It certainly didn't hurt, but I started to pop on the last climb anyway.

So I was 7th OA this year, but almost 2 minutes faster than last year. My average HR was 166, which seems pretty low for this distance. It wasn't very hot, so that might have contributed.

Some good signs for Nationals in 2 weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home